Felt great to clean out my plots today. My anemic tomatoes still have some potential, there are a few fruits and flowers that will save me a few bucks at the grocery store over the next month or two. I set aside a few dried out Romano beans (thanks Dad!) to dry out to plant next year.
About those Cucamelons! aka “Mouse melons”, “Mexican gherkins”. This spring at work, a few ladies and I decided to buy some seeds and go for it. They have a cucumber taste, but it’s….different. I think that doing a “pickling” prep would be great for them. There are a lot of recipes on Pinterest and Allrecipes. Who knew??
I’m so grateful for my plot-neighbor, Maryann. I’ve known her since I started gardening Greene Acres around 4 years ago! She gifted me with a sweet potato plant and it’s coming along! I finally raised up my “wild” cherry tomato plants to get them out of the way of my beet seedlings and carrots. I have a few cute basil plants who peek out from the carrot foliage. Yes, this year, was totally wild gardening. It’s been a wild year, and in the beginning, I was late to get started.
In July, I stopped by Denigris’ Garden Center and rescued a few vegetable plants that were sad and ready to go to the compost pile. I have several pepper plants which are giving me a few little peppers and a few tomatoes, including a beefsteak, which are coming along.
I weeded and removed dead branches and plants. I ran the rake around and turned the soil, exposing soft dark soil that would be great for…….lettuce. Planted some lettuce.
Using my cherry tomatoes, bunch onions, cucamelons and carrots, today I made couscous salad and a pasta salad.
We can keep our gardening going till December. Soon it’s time to get some garlic in. And I promise myself to get going in March next year, like I know I should!
- We have 11 new plot owners. 8 people are currently on the wait list. 2 new plots to be built at the May 5 Work Day.
- New Benches are being researched for purchase this year.
- Raised beds will need replaced in the fall.
- Additional landscaping will be done in the front.
- There will be spraying from inside of the fence to the outside to decrease the weeds. The spraying will be done by the landscaper on a calm day.
- “Meet the Plot Owners” social event will occur on Saturday May 20 from 2-4 PM at the garden. Bring a snack to share. Drinks will be provided.
- Remind everyone of the monthly work days which will occur on the first Saturday of the month.
- Soil will be delivered this Friday, will be our only delivery of the year.
- 26 food items were donated to the Broadview Heights food pantry.